Managing MIME type settings
- 1 Minute To Read
This article describes everything you need to know to create and manage the MIME type settings.
A media type (also known as a Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions or MIME type) is a standard that indicates the nature and format of a document or file. These settings are added to either allow or restrict the ability to upload files of defines types to the system.
If no MIME type settings are defines, files of any type can be uploaded.
To start managing MIME type settings, navigate to the Administration > MIME Type Settings section.
Adding MIME Type Settings
To add a MIME Type setting:
- On the MIME Type Setting page, click Add MIME type in the top right corner.
- On the Add MIME type page, populate the following fields:
- MIME Type. The MIME type should consist of a type and a subtype; these are all strings which, when concatenated with a slash (/) between them, comprise a MIME type. No whitespace is allowed: type/subtype. The type represents the general category into which the data type falls, such as video or text. The subtype identifies the exact kind of data of the specified type the MIME type represents. E.g.: image/png
- Optionally leave a comment in the Comment field. This information is viewable by only the Back Office users.
- Select the Is allowed checkbox if you want to allow this file extension to be uploaded to the system.
- Once done, click Save.
Editing and Deleting MIME Types
In the Actions column, click one of the following depending on what you need:
- Edit to edit a setting. Update the attributes and click Save.
- Delete to delete a setting.
Allowing a MIME Type
There are two ways to allow a MIME type:
- Select the Is allowed checkbox while creating/editing a MIME type.
- Select the checkbox in the Is Allowed column on the MIME Type Settings page and click Save.
Tips & Tricks
If you create a MIME type but do not allow it, no constraints are going to be applied.
If you create the MIME types as follows:
Then you will be able to download only the following file types:
The following will be displayed on the File Tree page once you select to upload a not allowed file type: